Overview of travels
Click on the map below for a 'blown-up view.'
1) Lankawi, MALAYSIA (depart 28/Feb/2006)
Starting out and upgrading the seaworthiness of the boat and exploring the 'yachtie' lifestyle in 'Malaysia.
2) Kumai, KALIMANTAN [BORNEO] (1 thru 7/April/2006)
Visiting the homeland of the Orang-Utang
3) Banjarmasin, KALIMANTAN (11 thru 14/Apr/2006)
The Indonesian version of Venice, with houses on stilts, fresh water and vendors on boats.
4) Ujung Pandang, SULAWESI (17 thru 29/Apr/2006)
In this modernized part of Indonesia, they visited Fort Rotterdam and the local museum.
5) Ambon, MALAKU ISLANDS (9 thur 16/May/2006)
Stocking up with meat and vegetables for the next stage of the voyage.
6) Manus, ADMIRALTY ISLANDS (4 thru 14/Jun/2006)
In this beautiful spot the boat is hit by a freak lightning strike and the electronics knocked out.
7) Mioko Harbour, DUKE OF YORK ISLANDS (19 thru 24/Jun/2006)
Beautiful sheltered tropical anchorage, where they visited the local chief to pay their respects.
8) Bramble Haven, LOUISADE ISLANDS (29/Jun thru 9/Jul/2006)
After some rough sailing they arrived at a deserted island, where they could fish, look for coconuts and pumpkin leaves and explore, while waiting for a favorable wind.
9) Cairns, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA (arr. 11/Jun/2006)
Undertake major repair program to boat, especially on electrics.
This is a the story of the journey for Mark's Sister and Family during 2005 and 2006.
Journey into the unknown (family voyage in a yacht):
Andrew and Rachel Herwig and children [Jade (18), Andrea (17), Michael (15) and Naomi (6)] set out in January 2005, from Perth, Western Australia for a journey into the unknown to see where they could go.
This page is shows the big picture, later they will pass on more details as events unfold.